The world’s first self-cleaning glass with advanced dual-action for superior results.
A revolution in glass
Self-cleaning glass has been described as an impossible dream. Yet, following an intensive research and development programme by Pilkington – inventors of the universally used float glass process, and the world’s leading glass manufacturer – Pilkington Activ™ does just that.
Its unique dual-action uses the forces of nature to help keep the glass clear of organic dirt, giving you not only the practical benefit of less cleaning, but also clearer, better-looking windows.
The benefits of Pilkington Activ™
- The world’s first self-cleaning glass.
- Saves you time and money, and is safer than cleaning your own windows.
- Unique coating breaks down and loosens organic soiling.
- Even works on cloudy days and during the night.
- Can be used in almost any external domestic application – ideal for conservatories and windows.
- Will not be worn away or rubbed off under normal conditions – lasts the lifetime of the glazing itself.
- Easily cleaned during dry spells by hosing down or wiping with a soft cloth and warm soapy water.
- Pilkington Activ™ helps reduce the visual appearance of external condensation.
- Can be used in conjunction with other Pilkington glass products for example Pilkington K Glass™ to provide increased energy efficiency and save on heating bills.
- Created and manufactured by the world’s leading glass producer – Pilkington.
- Pilkington Activ™ Blue, an attractive blue tinted glass that combines self-cleaning with solar control, perfect for conservatory roofs.
- Pilkington Activ™ Neutral, a neural coloured glass ideal for conservatory roofs and verticals. The coating gives a slightly darker appearance which helps reduce transmission of light and heat from the sun.
How Pilkington Activ ™ works
What do you mean by ‘dual-action’?
The secret of Pilkington Activ™ lies in its special coating, which works in two stages:
Breaking down organic dirt
Firstly, the coating reacts with ultra-violet (UV) rays from natural daylight to break down organic dirt (see figures 1& 2).
Organic dirt generally comes from plants and animals e.g. bird droppings, pollen or tree sap, while inorganic dirt comes from other, non-living sources e.g. cement or plaster.
Washing dirt away
The second part of the process happens when water hits the glass. Rainwater runs down the glass to wash the loosened dirt (both organic and inorganic) away. Loose inorganic dirt will only be removed by water (see figure 3). Compared with conventional glass, the water dries very quickly, reducing unsightly streaks or marks.
How long does the self-cleaning operation take?
Pilkington Activ ™ works continuously, with dirt being washed away whenever it rains.
Does Pilkington Activ ™ work straight away?
After fitting, the coating on the glass takes about five days to activate itself fully.
Will this process work even when the glass is very dirty?
The coating will eventually break down quite heavy deposits of organic dirt. However, if the surface is so dirty that UV light cannot reach the glass, the self-cleaning action will become steadily less effective. In such cases, clean the glass with warm soapy water and a soft cloth, and in a few days the glass will have re-activated.
What happens if it does not rain for some time?
Normally, rainfall will be enough to keep your windows clean. In dry spells though, your windows can be washed with a soft cloth and warm soapy water or hosed down gently.
What about cloudy days and at night?
Pilkington Activ ™ needs only a small amount of UV radiation to keep the coating activated – so it works even on overcast days.